Monday, February 18, 2008

Colorado Trip '08

Well I am back now from my trip out to Colorado, and I have to say it was an AWESOME time. I hadn't had a real vacation in quite a while, and this trip was for sure what I needed. The first night was spent with Laura (cousin) and her roomates at a nice sushi place. After the sake bombs ended and getting a good nights sleep, Laura and I headed up to the mountains. We dropped our stuff off at the condo and headed to rent skis.

Here is a picture of me attempting to try on ski boots. Aside from being uncomfortable due to the ski boots, I soon enough was uncomfortable from the amount of hippies up in the mountains.

Outside the very bottom of Breckenridge. Do I look like I know what I'm doing? No? Good, because I didn't.
Sending a text message to the one and only Heather (quite possibly my biggest blog fan), rubbing it in that I was skiing while she was pretending to do work in her cubicle.
Laura and I looking good. But when you are us beautiful as we are, it's hard not to look good. Also, check out the coordinating Ohio State hats, which actually wasn't planned.

Pretty sure in this picture I still hadn't actually gone down a hill yet.

This was supposed to be a sweet picture of us with the mountain range in the background, but Hans the German tourist apparently doesn't know how to take a picture correctly. But Hans got a lot of the snow in the picture. Thanks Hans!!!
Here we are at the end of the day with the snow getting heavier.
All in all it was one of the funnest, most relaxing days I've had in a while. I shockingly was pretty good and I got the hang of things pretty quickly, and it was good for Laura so she didn't have to stay on the bunny slopes with me the whole time. I seem to have the "ski like a bat out of hell" philosophy, so speed was never a problem but I still only fell once. Until we went to Keystone the next day and I found out first hand about something that people call "moguls." I have no further comment on that.

After that first night, we went out to dinner and then grabbed some drinks at the Dillon Dam Brewery. When we got there the special of the night was the most confusing thing I have ever heard. I honestly told the bouncer he needed a flow chart to explain it correctly, because we still didn't get it. We just said yes, paid the cover, and Laura would get free drinks for like 45 minutes (yeah, no clue). Anyways, it wasn't the best deal ever as you can see by Laura's beer on the left and mine on the right. But then the next one she got was big-kid sized, we are still not sure why.

The highlight of the evening was making two friends (no clue what their names were). They were there to watch the bluegrass band, along with a bunch of their other smelly hippy friends. These guys were actaully really nice, but it was HILARIOUS to watch these people dance to the music.
Here I am copying this guys dance moves. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it down just right, but it was fun trying.

Well, the rest of the trip consisted of us hanging out in Denver, sampling the local cuisine, chilling with Laura's friend from way back when Nicole, and meeting up with cousin Nicole and Landon. I made dinner for everyone on Saturay, we had brunch at Nicole and Landon's on Sunday, and then it was time to come home. Thanks again to everyone that hosted me this weekend, and I can't wait until we do it all over again next year.

When I finally got back, Woody was happy to see me. Or at least happy to see my suitcase so he could sleep in it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to represent TEAM Sports... Nice work!

CBGW

Anonymous said...

Wow, Breck for your first ski trip. Breck is huge and challenging. I could never make it from the top to the bottom w/out stopping for a rest and oxygen. Then again I'm not in Olympic condition either. Wish I could visit there yearly.
-bullcoming

Mommy K said...

I heart the Matt Mac Blog! You make me laugh. Looks like you had tons of fun in CO while we were in the hospital...but I'm not bitter at all.