Tuesday, September 2, 2008

American Idol and Taking Katie Out on the Town

This past weekend Katie and the whole clan came down for the long weekend, and one of the excuses of making the trip was to go to the American Idol concert, featuring my protege David Cook. Without further ado, here is the account of the night.

Here I am right after getting to my parents house to pick up Katie and Carl, and of course Carter-man wanted to chill with me for a bit. He knew who I was right away and even wanted me to hold him, and we played for a few minutes while Katie and Carl finished up getting ready. After this we met up with some Gracelanders for a HH, but I didn't take any pictures. Woops.
Here we are in our front row seats (Editors Note: Only Katie and I went to the concert, Carl and the others were only there for happy hour). OK, so they were front row of the upper deck, but they were still pretty decent seats. My good friend Ben and his fiance and parents just happend to sit a few seats over and 3 rows behind us, and I got to chat with them a few times do to the fact I had to make 4 "pit stops" during the concert after having the Bratwurst Platter at happy hour. Most of you are saying that is TMI, but I know Uncle Mark would be proud.
This could have been me. If only I had actual talent. But seriously, he came out wearing a Chiefs jersey which was cool, and halfway through his set he asked how many people were from Blue Springs South out there. We of course went crazy but quite a few people booed (jealous f*cks), but Dave quickly told everyone that there was no need to boo.
After the show, we moved across the street to Power and Light to show Katie where I worked, and to show her a good time since she hadn't been out in almost a year. First stop was to Howl, where we chilled with my friend/manager Jake, took some jello shots, and most importantly, I talked to the piano guys and got Katie to sing a song on stage.
Here she is making her professional debut, singing "Goodbye Earl" by the Dixie Chicks. She nailed it.
After the singing we went next door to PBR Big Sky (assless chaps) to see my friend Heather and have one more drink before heading home. Now I've gotten to know Mike, the GM of the bar, just from working down there, and he happened to be at the entrance when we got there. He let us in without waiting in line, didn't have to pay cover, and after I introduced Katie and told about the twins/not being out in a long time, he immediately went and got us some drinks on the house. He then asked Katie if she wanted to ride the bull, and of course she said yes. Here's Mike and Katie before her time on the bull.
The best part of this is once again we didn't have to wait in line, she got right on. It pays to know people.
All in all, it was a fun filled weekend. I spent all Saturday hanging out with the family, but was having such a good time I didn't take any pics. Oh well, can't wait until next time!!!


3 comments:

Mommy K said...

It was weird to be my "old self" for a night. Too much fun, I'm afraid! I haven't been up that late (without a baby in my arms) since July 2006...no joke!

Mommy K said...

Oh, and thank you, Poochie. It was so nice of you to take me out and treat me!

*Heather* said...

You forgot to mention that at the AI concert my sister asked if you were gay....classic.