Thursday, November 13, 2008

Halloween, Election, and Lamoni

On Halloween, Jistin, my roomate Ben, and I decided to go as the Beastie Boys in the "Sabotage" music video. They may have been able to grow real mustaches, but I had a real police badge, compliments of ex-cop Carrie. Thanks Carrie!!!
Now on to Election Day, which as most of you could guess made me very excited. I woke up about an hour and a half before I normally do to go vote at the elementary school right by my house, and the line wasn't too bad. I only waited for about 30 minutes or so, and was in and out in a total of 40. I also ran into a good friend from High School, a guy I used to go to church with, I knew the cop that was there, and the lady that checked me in knew my parents.
Anyways, after anxiously going through the work day, I went straight to my friend Tommy's house on the Plaza so we could watch all the election results. I took the rest of the week off, and Tommy took Wednesday off so we could make a night out of it. I brought some beverages for us and we would watch CNN and then switch to Fox News when we wanted something to laugh at. At about 9:30 or so we headed out to a bar and were eating dinner when they called it for Obama. There were at least 50 people there and the bar erupted into cheers, and everyone yelled at the bartender to turn the music off and turn the TV volumes on. I must say that McCains concession speech was quite amazing, and it's sad that he couldn't have run his whole camaign that way, but he had to sell his soul to tow the line for the Republicans. Of course we loved the speech by Obama, and the scene in Grant Park was spectacular. There were two black guys at the bar, and both were crying during the speech which was pretty moving. We then moved on to another bar that was pretty much empty except for a really good band and about 12 young black people. Since I had on my Obama shirt they immediately liked me and Tommy, and they were buying us drinks. All in all a VERY cool night.



The next morning I woke up and headed up to Lamoni for the night to hang out with my old roomate Killa, who is now finishing up his doctorate at Graceland. Oh wait, still his undergrad but it is year 7. My mistake. We just chilled, ate Pizza Shack, played wii, and played some beer pong with two guys I played volleyball with that were still up in Lamoni.
Oh, and we did some Irish Car Bombs. Delicious.

























































































4 comments:

Mommy K said...

Nice costumes...you're always original and spot-on!

And, of course, I love the scarlet and gray Obama shirt! What an awesome night that was...

Anonymous said...

oh what a night...In my mind, i'm probably the biggest sex maniac you ever saw.

Anonymous said...

this day in history (for all you buffs)

11/14/1893 Gerhart Hauptmanns
"Hanneles Himmelfahrt", premieres in Berline.
11/14/1908 Albert Einstein presents quantum theory of light.
Soon things got brighter..
11/14/1922 BBC begins domestic radio service from 2LO at Marconi House.
11/14/1968 1st European lung transplant. (one nurse heard the doctor say after the surgery, he needed to step outside for some air.)

Unknown said...

cool shirt :)