Monday, May 26, 2008

DC: The Asian Supermarket

So right next to by my hotel was a strip mall that had some different asian restaurants (Thai, Chinese, etc), as well as a pretty large asian supermarket. I LOVE Asian food, so I went over there a few times for lunch and did a little shopping at the supermarket. Aside from eating such specialties as Cow Tendon (better than it sounds, not a whole lot of flavor), as well as some bean sprout dish and many others, I took some pics of my adventures. Below are some of my finds.

Here is a picture of the seafood section, which smelled pretty much like the sump pump in my basement after I have a party. I.E, it didn't smell good. Here is this picture are conchs, both in the shell and "naked" (not sure what you call a conch without a shell, so we'll go with naked), as well as some fish I can't pronounce.
OK, so I don't really know how to rotate the picture (just pick up your laptop/monitor and turn sideways), but these are salted duck eggs. In a box. Not refridgerated. Not sure how that works.
Here are durian fruit, which is supposed to be one of the nastiest foods on earth. They are banned from public places in Southeast Asia because they smell so bad. The taste of them has been described as a cross between rotten onions and dirty socks. And this is a fruit. I actually would like to try one some day, but since I was at a hotel I decided against it.
I was going to the Nationals baseball game later in the evening, so I decided to get some pistacios to take since I noticed a bulk foods section. I had to take this picture because never before have I seen dried fish next to nuts. Now I've seen nuts next to other types of "fish", but I won't even go there. Sigh...
This picture doesn't really do this guy justice, but it's the best I could. He was the only other white guy in there, and he was wearing black tennis shoes, REALLY short blue running shorts, and a pretty much see-through white dress shirt. In the face he actually kinda looked like Lt. Dangle from Reno 911, which is fitting considering his shorts.

2 comments:

Mommy K said...

Um...nasty...the food and the freaky guy in the short shorts.

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.